FREDERICK, Md.- The (RV) Frederick Community College baseball team wasted little time on Tuesday afternoon as they took care of business and defeated CCBC Essex to claim the Region XX DII Tournament Championship. The Cougars defeated the Knights by the score of 21-6. With the victory, FCC sits at 35-13 on the year and is currently riding a 10 game winning streak.
The Cougars absolutely exploded in the first two innings of this game. The Cougars sent 15 batters to the dish in the first frame. They plated nine runs and were up-to-bat for 47 minutes as they chased the starting pitcher out of the game without recording a single out. FCC would respond in the second inning with a seven spot and four more runs in the third inning.
Brad Foster picked up the win on the hill for FCC. The southpaw tossed five innings and gave up three earned runs. He fanned seven batters and gave up no free passes. Foster improves to 9-2 on the year.
Inside the FCC Box Score
- The FCC offense pounded out 17 hits in the win.
- Jacob Wetzel (.382 BA) scored three runs and went 3-for-5 at the dish.
- Hayden Kissel (.293 BA) went 3-for-5 (3B) and knocked in five runs.
- Mitch Long (.386 BA), Priamo Lozada (.410 BA), Kyle Schofield (.245 BA), and Connor Hanafin (.351 BA) each had two hits.
- Hanafin drove in four runs while teammate Mitch Long knocked in three teammates.
- Leadoff hitter Brett Stallings (.344 BA) went 1-for-3 with three runs and a pair of RBIs.
Stat of the Day
For Coach Bennett, this is his 10th appearance in 17 seasons in Region XX DII Championship games as the skipper of the Cougars. The Cougars have won the title in five out of the 10 appearances.
FCC will host Lackawanna College in a best of three series starting on Friday (5/17). First pitch is set for 11 A.M. with the second game to follow at 2:00 P.M. If game three is necessary, it will take place on 5/18 with first pitch at noon.
FCC BY THE NUMBERS
Region XX DII Regular Season: 17-3
Conference Record: 17-7
Streak: Won 10