CATONSVILLE, Md. - The #20 Frederick Community College baseball team lost to Garrett College on Friday afternoon in the opening round of the Region XX D2 baseball tournament by the score of 14-12. FCC will play CCBC Catonsville on Saturday afternoon with first pitch set at 1:00 P.M. at CCBC Catonsville. The loser of this contest will be eliminated from the tournament. FCC is now 34-16 on the year.
How It Happened
- Garrett College would jump on the scoreboard early and plate three runs in their first at-bats.
- The Cougars would get their bats going in the second inning by scoring six runs.
- FCC starting pitcher Nick Pantos (9-1) tossed six innings and struck out nine batters in the no decision.
- FCC jumped out to a 9-3 lead after six innings of play.
- The Lakers would storm back late in the contest by scoring five runs in the top of the seventh to cut into FCC's lead.
- FCC would answer back with three runs of their own in the bottom of the seventh to take a 12-8 lead late in the game.
- The turning point of the game came in the top of the eight when GC put a six spot on the scoreboard, highlighted by a grand slam, taking a 14-12 lead after eight innings.
- The Cougars were not able to answer in their final two at-bats and dropped the contest by the score of 14-12.
Inside the Box Score
- Both teams put on quite an offensive performance, combining for 26 runs on 27 hits.
- In their last three games, the Lakers have scored a total of 42 runs.
- Each FCC batter registered a hit in the game.
- FCC slugged eight doubles on the afternoon.
- Logan Appel and Eric Naylor each launched homers for the Cougars. For Appel it is his fourth long ball on the year and for Naylor it is his 11th dinger.
- Brady Harju, Mitch Long, Naylor, and Appel each had two hits.
- Appel led FCC with three RBIs.
- Brayden Coe was hit with the loss. He falls to 2-1 on the year.
Follow the Cougars on Twitter (@cougapridefcc) and become a fan on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/CougarPrideFCC/) for all the latest FCC Athletics news.
Saturday, May 12, 2018 at CCBC Catonsville
Game #3: 10:00 a.m.
CCBC Essex vs. Garrett College
Game #4: 1:00 p.m.
FCC vs. CCBC Catonsville (elimination game)
Game #5 4 p.m.
Loser of Game #3 vs. Winner of Game #4
Sunday, May 13, 2018 at CCBC Catonsville
Game #6: 12:00 p.m.
Winner Game #3 vs. Winner Game #5
Game #7 (If necessary): 20 minutes after Game #6